Moved In, but not moved on...




So we continue to hear about people reading our blog, which means that we will continue to post. I see this going in the way of documenting the trials and travails and a science grad student, just to give you fair warning. Some my say that is not very exciting stuff. And there could be a fair bit of trials and travails as well: We did move to Cali after all, and everyone isn't moving away from here (and to Portland, Oregon) because they love it here. That is my assessment anyway :)
But for the plus side...we've got ourselves largely moved in, with simple menial tasks left to do like hanging pictures and arranging the pots and pans properly in the cupboards. We now have a phone (like a real land line!) and internet, and are once more fully in communication with the outside world. Last night I used our internet connection to watch parts of the U.S.-Nigeria AND N. Korea - Sweden Women's World Cup games, which was deeply satisfying. I am now the newest unofficial member of the Abby Wambach fan club. It is very deeply satisfying to see a U.S. pro soccer team play well enough to offer a challenge to teams from places that, in the mens soccer world, normally kick our butts. Like Argentina, and Brazil. Looking forward to watching the final.
And as if that wasn't exciting enough I also was given (thats right, for FREE), a WORM FACTORY. I've wanted one of these brilliant little devices for some time, but since we had a yard with a huge compost area in P.A. the incentive was minimal. Now that we've moved into a tiny sh*tbox my desire grew. I really really wanted worms to eat my garbage, and was going so far as trying to work out where i could steal the $100 or so that one of these cost. The very next day (THE VERY NEXT DAY! Its fate...) I was at a yard sale offering one of these things and, when I inquired after the price, the guy offered it to me, with worms mind you, for NOTHING! So I spent a few hours yesterday setting the thing up and now, even as I type, worms are eating my trash and pooing out little dark chunks of fertilizer. I love it.
Outside of these realms of obvious excitement my time is spent largely trying to prep for the academic bomb (shock and awe is approaching) that will be dropped on my head September 24th. It appears that my thesis project will take place in Washington, and I will be looking at coastal habitats around the Elwha River mouth and how they are linked with river sediments. Ooooh, sounds so fascinating, right? You will be hearing about it. I've been meeting with my advisors, working out my class schedule, reading papers given to me by my advisors, and exploring UCSC's lovely campus.
Ian

1 Comments:
Does this mean that you'll be living back in Port Angeles? Really? When? I know, you just got there, but we can dream. Right?
2:45 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home