Our day to Conquer


I nearly forgot until I opened my email this evening that it is the day of "engorgement" in the states. Many of you are at this very moment are feasting on turkey, fattening up for the impending cold winter, while nestled at a table amongest friends and family, and hopefully giving thanks for the joy of your days. Indeed we are thankful for all of you and hope you are warm, healthy, and happy.
We are all of the above at the moment. Though, the locals have been complaining about the "clima fria", (it is a frigid 70 degrees here) we find ourselves quite content with the temperature. On the happy and healthy front, we are both very happy to have endless time for play. As Ian says sitting beside me, "we´re frickin´kicken it!" Ian has been surfing nearly everyday and I have finally gotten up the courage to ask the men playing soccer on the beach if I can join them. Despite their hesistent yes I am excited to get out to play. Women tend to be less physically active here and therefore such things as running, mountain biking, and sometimes soccer seem to produce a fair amount of stares. Yesterday, I was excited to encountered my first group of women playing soccer on the beach.
Today, had the opportunity to take our first ever canopy tour, which essentially consisted of 15 smail zip lines through the forest. It was a bit ridiculous but we couldn´t help ourselves. I found it difficult not to critique the equipment and was mildly disconcerted that we were using our gloved hand on a metal wire as a brake! Aside from this small issue the views were beautiful and it is always fun to play in the trees. check out the photos.
Christine
ps - if anyone can email us with a concise explanation of the difference between the imperfect and preterite verb tenses in english we could really use it....

2 Comments:
christine used to eat meat...that is an example of the imperfect...something that you did in the past. -ir and -er ending is ia, -ar ending is aba
christine ate meat yesturday...that is the preterite. -gmac
10:51 AM
Another way to translate the imperfect into English is to think
about it as an ongoing past state, while the preterite is used to describe a single past event.
I was walking [imperfect] on the beach in Nicaragua when Ian took [preterite] a picture of me.
He was taking [imperfect] a picture of me when a huge wave soaked [preterite] him!
I was looking [imperfect] at the monkey when he threw [preterite] his banana at me.
He was throwing [imperfect] his banana at me when he slipped and fell [both preterite] off the branch.
Mike Vanderslice
9:10 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home