This is it, as techno-savvy as we get. As we prepare to get married, actually do it, and then travel for a year you can be with us every step of the way. Isn't that lovely?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

If I'm Not With Them, I suppose I must be un-patriotic

The Nicaraguan election is proving to be a center-piece of our existence right now.

Well, I should preface that by saying that it dominates our thinking only after the simple day to day tasks that, as a result of our language deficincies, can at times be so challenging.

We spent much of this morning looking at the newspaper, english/spanish dictionary in hand, trying to work out the intricacies in meaning included in the election coverage. Daniel Ortega's election does not represent a leftist revolution of any kind in Nicaragua. In contrast, it is clear that, like the 2000 election in the u.s., the only reason he won is because there were two right leaning candidates that opposed him. They effectively split the majority vote to the right and ensured his victory w/o a run-off election.

Regardless, one of the most fascinating components to the election for us has been the clear U.S. intrusion into the process, with threats of cuts in foreign aid and remittance rights made by congressman and national leaders should Ortega be elected. Well, he was. Given the situation I thought it timly to submit the following to the NY times and the Washington Post. I have little hope of publication given that it will have to compete with domestic election shenanigans. So you all might just be the only audience to see it. Here goes:

"As an American citizen travelling in Nicaragua I can't help but note, once again, my own government making a farce of its own oft-stated celebration of democracy. The election of Daniel Ortega, so long as the voting process proves to follow standard norms, should be respected and celebrated as the outcome of a democratic process in a sovereign nation. Well before Monday's election, however, high level U.S. officials and national conservative leaders started issuing a litany of threats designed to derail an Ortega presidency.

Ortega MAY represent a threat to U.S. interests, especially given the spectre of him allying Nicaragua with Venezuela, Bolivia and Cuba. However, as a democratically elected leader he deserves the oppornity to demonstrate the course on which he will set his nation.

As for the United States we clearly do far more harm than good to our leadership potential in the world by meddling with the sovereignty of a democracy. Our government's threats towards Nicaragua show disrespect towards the people of Nicaragua and their democratic processes. By taking pre-emptive punitive actions towards Nicaragua we are creating conditions that can only drive Ortega into alliances with other countries. To secure our own future and protect our interests we simply must work to be better neighbors to the world.

As an American I certainly hope that the Nicaraguans prove to be as forgiving towards us as they are proud. I know that, as a travelling American, I grow weary of being made a de facto representative of a government that insists first on protecting its right to do what it will in the world while ignoring the sovereignity of effective democracies."

Ian

2 Comments:

Blogger MeanKatie said...

Ian, that was beautifully written, and I think it encompasses so many other's thinking as well. My fingers are crossed that you will be published as I think the rest of America needs to understand what is going on from someone who is actually there.

Cheers,
MK

1:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian
My thought is the NY Times should hire you as a commentator for world news. Your letter is a great example of your ability to see through the window painting to see the real world.

Good Luck

Unc bill

12:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home