We Made It!
And we are still married, whole in body and spirit, and have huge monster thighs to boot.
We arrived in San Diego on Sunday evening, and rode through Pacific Beach (where I lived for a summer with my family, and learned to surf) to Ocean Beach, where we connected with a host through www.warmshowers.org. We stayed the night with Margaret, a new assistant prof at UCSD (Victorian literature!), in her small OB apartment. It was a very nice way to arrive.
Then things got crazy. After we opted not to sail out of the states I started pushing for as early a departure as possible, and my eagerness led to us having just two days, Monday and Tuesday, to pick up our shipped luggage, pack up our bike stuff and take care of the myriad little tasks that needed to happen. Notably, I was also trying to get my last hepatitis shot and squeeze in the GRE test. So, it was sort of stressful.
But its not Tuesday afternoon and we are doing okay. Monday was tough, I must admit. With driving through the city, not knowing where anything was, etc. I was just about at my wits end. But we've finished everything (well, I am still w/o my full hepatitis immunization and haven't taken the GRE, but isn't that what Mexico City is there for?) and now can look forward to a nice night in downtown San Diego making good use of a gift certificate to a swank restaurant that Tom and Carrie gave us for our wedding. Life is rough...
Hopefully we will get more computer time in Mexico City to post pictures, etc. I am still processing the bike trip and have been too busy to do so effectively, but I had a small flash this morning of, "oh my word, we just pedaled down here!" I made a brief and aborted attempt to calculate the number of times that my BOB trailer wheel rotated during our trip (studying math for the GRE does weird things to one's head) and may get back to you with a figure if my insanity continues.
We hope everyone is doing well and miss our friends and family dearly. Thank you so much to everyone for emails the like. We will start using skype more now, and want to build our contact list - so skype us! we are at "soulcedar".
-Ian

2 Comments:
you can skype adrian and i at "zangray" have fun in mexico city. and when you take the GRE remember that heather might grade your essay...!
1:23 PM
Uh, are you sure that you're user name at Skype is "soulcedar" because someone named Gustavo Piquet has that name and we've tried to call him a million times because he's always online and I only just realized his name today. I thought you had skype under "christineandian". . . good lord, the technology of this century is making me a little crazy
1:21 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home