two big birthdays !!!

Just wanted to share two treasured days with everyone. Today Ian celebrated his 34th birthday with a morning wake-up onboard the sleeper train from Hanoi to Hue. A bit bleary eyed from the night of less than blissful sleep amidst the constant roll and tug of the train he had completely forgotten it was his special day but I promptly reminded him. We enjoyed a bike stroll through the city and its sights while fending off the locals offering tours, boats, guides, and taxi's at every turn and then took in a sunset boat ride on the perfume river. We then proceeded on to a lavish dinner which constituted 3 of our usual meals in spending for whopping 15 dollar bill. I searched around town for birthday candles using my best version of charades with the local shop clerks before moving on to pictionary. The drawing proved a much better form of communication and I had candles in hand in no time. I secretly handed them off to the waiter but some how midway through the meal they made their way back to the table. We are not sure exactly why but despite a full dessert menu I believe he said he had none. We had a good giggle in our moment of perplexity and I guess Ian will have to invent a new way for a good luck wish this year.
And the other big birthday announcement is that of Stewart Love Lawson. Sandra gave birth on Feb 22nd to a healthy 8 pound, and the phrase all mothers relish in, quite beautiful little boy. Stewart is currently surrounded by both sets of grandparents and just returned home yesterday. I have attached a photo of stewart just moments after birth.
Both birthday boys would love to hear from you!!!!

2 Comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY IAN!
You guys kick a. I am amazed by your adventurous spirits. Im not sure I could handle the continual culture shock. We are in Costa Rica and getting ready to start heading north and eventually home. CR is beautiful, but feels kind of like Disney Land after Nicaragua (which we loved).
love c
4:48 PM
Okay, now that I have read your travels I am even more impressed. Isnt airline travel amazing? We felt the same way as we floated over the two days of bus and boat travel to Corn Island.
Also the mopeds reminded me of our bus driver today. A motorcycle was trying to change lanes in front of us in San Jose and he yelled out the window "quiere morir?" I love it.
c
5:06 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home